Real Girl Beauty

For every girl who's imagined herself as Lucky Magazine's "Lucky Girl." Or who's conquered her addiction to the bitchier-than-thou style.com forums. Or who reacts every day to her Daily Candy email with the same: "Who can afford that?" Here are some heartfelt health and beauty tips from one Real Girl to another.

Monday, April 03, 2006

What You Need For Summer, Part 1: Antioxidants




Oh, precious antioxidants. Sweet, sweet antioxidants. You take care of my free radicals, halting their ugly progression toward skin damage and wrinkles. For this, you get Real Girl’s Medal Of Anti-Wrinkleosity. It’s like cosmetics knighthood. From now on, we dub thee Sir Antioxidants.

It’s time to get the most out of our skin protection. The sun is coming, and it’s UVAing and UVBing the heck out of us. Don’t be scared. Be prepared. (Eat your heart out, Boy Scouts.)

When it comes to antioxidants, you need high concentrations. One thing you can do is look to see where the active ingredients fall in the ingredients list. If it’s too far down the line? Be skeptical. Another plus when it comes to purchasing an antioxidant-rich product is to trust the brand.

Quite a while ago, I reviewed Paula’s Choice Super Antioxidant Concentrate. At the time, I was impressed by the ingredients and the price, but not so much by the texture. My friends? I have revised my opinion. For almost a year now, this product has been a staple in my routine, and I continue to use it nightly. The texture isn’t far from Smashbox Foundation Primer. I just had to get used to the silicones.

I continue to be impressed by Paula’s Choice’s antioxidant products, and her two new ones are now nestled happily in my medicine cabinet, where I use them every morning. Do you need to use both? No! But we’re getting there…

For those with oily or combination skin (like La Real Girl!), here’s a fab, antioxidant-packed product for you: Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate. (Could you guess that this is a brand that goes for informational rather than flowery product names? Couldja?). Vitamin E, Vitamin C, green tea, white tea, grape seed extract, and more. It’s like a veritable list of the greatest antioxidants. I’m quite in love with this greaseless product and use it every single day! Because of its ingredients and its price (even with shipping, it’s cheaper than any other brand I’ve found with comparable ingredients), this product just gets an A+ in my book for taking care of your skin—and your piece of mind.

But Real Girl, you say. I’ve got dry skin! Even in summer! Dry, moistureless skin aching for quenching, delicious Sir Antioxidants. What to do!? Ahhh, feel not left out, my parched petunias. Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery Super Antioxidant Concentrate is here to save your skin. With similar nourishing antioxidants, this greasier serum moistens the skin it touches, soaking into the skin and leaving it spongy to the touch. I use this product around my eyes before my concealer, and when it soaks in, I’m left with a slightly dewy, but not oily, healthy eye-area.

Are these glamorous products? Nah. No girly packaging, no scents or pretty coloring to speak of (which actually makes the product less irritating to your skin), no bells or whistles. But if you love quality ingredients at optimal concentrations for a great dollar value (and if you do, then we are on the same page, my dearies), then these serums are great choices to fight sun damage.

Use morning only or morning and night, before sunscreen, but after any exfoliating or acne products.

Any questions? Any other products to recommend? Any concerns about the sun? I’m definitely taking all your sunscreen questions and requests into account for the future!

I’m here to serve—and to keep us all looking and feeling our best.

(By the way, to all who helped me during Ultimate Blogger? You are SUPER GREAT! Although I didn’t win, I totally should have. Because my answers—and here’s a wee sample if you scroll down--were just the bestity best, hands down!)

xx
Love and love and love,
Real Girl

P.S. If you don't love your Paula's Choice products for some reason, she's great about returns. Don't hesitate to send them back for a refund! (Though not of shipping costs.)