Real Girl Beauty

For every girl who's imagined herself as Lucky Magazine's "Lucky Girl." Or who's conquered her addiction to the bitchier-than-thou style.com forums. Or who reacts every day to her Daily Candy email with the same: "Who can afford that?" Here are some heartfelt health and beauty tips from one Real Girl to another.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

SUNSCREEN wins! And this sunscreen is a winner!



Wow, results don't get any closer than this!

As you well know, in the spirit of the Real Girl Beauty community, I asked y'all to vote whether you wanted to hear next about a highlighting concealer or a supertastic sunscreen. At first, I was so sure that Concealer would win that I started upping my testing and mind-writing my post. BUT in the final stretch, Sunscreen started gaining, like the tortoise tailing the hare. Or like Real Girl tailing a Lindt chocolate truffle.

The final tally? Concealer: 10 votes. Sunscreen: 11 votes. (Also? "........" and ".,.,.,.,.," each got 1 vote. Erm...are those the independents?)

I promise next up will be the concealer. But for now, we'll focus on the wrinkles. I've told you before which sunscreen ingredients I prefer most. Always keep in mind that you need to fight both UVA (wrinkles! aging!) and UVB (burning! vicious, vicious burning!) rays, and the three top sunscreen ingredients to do this job are titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and avobenzone. Some studies show that avobenzone, a chemical sunscreen, may not be as good as the other two options, which are mineral sunscreens. My thoughts on said studies? Better safe than sorry.

So my quest for the Perfect Sunscreen had to have as its active ingredient either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Problem being? These sunscreens are white and chalky. Which tends to make the user look like a summer mime. I don't know about you, but my July schedule does not include street performing in white-face.

But finally, after literally months of searching both department store and drugstore brands, I've found a sunscreen that contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, but. BUT! Leaves almost no chalky residue. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me.

The worthy winner? Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion, SPF 30.

Now, inexplicably, some Drugstore.com reviewers on this product have noted a chalky residue. Perhaps it's in their application? I squeeze out my dollop, rub my hands together, and then coat my face. Compared to other mineral sunscreen lotions, the Eucerin has been the best by far. I have tested at least 10 others, all more expensive, and all with worse results. I'd go so far as to say I saw no white residue with my sweet Eucerin, because it's pretty darn close. I'm in love with the lack of chalky, I tell you. In love.

But there's more!! After years of searching (years!), I can honestly say this is a good sunscreen for oily and breakout-prone skin. Also? Sensitive skin. The lotion moisturizes slightly, but not heavily. So for you dry skinners? Perhaps not the best option. (Although I do have another option for you drier folks. Alas, that's for another day.) But for women who spend their summers shinier than grandma's gold lame jumpsuit? The Eucerin doesn't leave a matte finish, but it's not slick either. A very good combination-skin, not too greasy or too shiny option for the sticky summer weather. I've tried more matte sunscreens, but I felt those others left my ever-shiny mug feeling--gasp!--dry and unsatisfied.

But not my Eurcerin. Dear, sweet Eucy.

So far, this is the most perfect sunscreen I've ever found. I heart it. I carry a sample size around for reapplications.

Wrinkles? Find another face to torment. Oh, and you too skin cancer. Eucy's got my back. Except it's my face. Eucy's got my face.

And I've got my real girls.

So dish, girls! Sunscreen! Tell all!
xx
RG