Real Girl Beauty

For every girl who's imagined herself as Lucky Magazine's "Lucky Girl." Or who's conquered her addiction to the bitchier-than-thou style.com forums. Or who reacts every day to her Daily Candy email with the same: "Who can afford that?" Here are some heartfelt health and beauty tips from one Real Girl to another.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Mascara Chronicles Part III: Craaaaaaaaap




CRISIS! CRI! SIS! Months after I found the perfect mascara, there is trouble in paradise.

No other mascara makes my lashes look as fab as YSL Luxurious Mascara. So thick! So long! The evening look to end all other evening looks! This shizznit just screams glamour. (But thankfully not while I’m sleeping. Gotta love considerate mascara.)

HOWEVER. My beloved YSL Luxurious Mascara has one fatal flaw: it doesn’t last so well. After about four months, it gets kind of sticky and harder to apply. The lush blackness loses a bit of its luster. It becomes slightly…less than perfect.

I don’t know about you, but Real Girl expects her mascara to last six months. Especially if it’s expensive!

So. For my latest mascara purchase, I revisited the Ever Favorite Real Girl Beauty Mascara Chronicles of December, 2004 and decided to buy Clinique High Impact Mascara. Perhaps not surprisingly (hello, it’s not perfect), I have decided that this is not the mascara for me. My lashes look less thick than they do with the YSL. In fact, they look anemic by comparison. But what’s worse? By the end of the night, I had raccoon eyes! Bright black raccoon eyes. There exists a perfect zen state of mascara that’s not too waterproof to make removing it difficult, but that also does not make you look like a foraging forest critter. It’s that almost-waterproof-but-not-quite state that I call Nirvana. Yes, my YSL had it. For the allotted four months of perfection.

I may revisit another of my runners up--Prescriptives False Eyelashes. But the mascara I’m dying to try? The one I’ve heard raves about for ages? Blinc Kiss Me Mascara. Will it give me the thickness and the length? I want both! Because I think we know?

I will not settle for less.

But what about y'all? Got the perfect thickening, lengthening, non-clumpy, non-raccoon-eye, lasts-more-than-four-months mascara? Have you tried the Kiss Me? Or do I just have to suck it up and buy new mascara every four months?

With Love,
xx
Real Girl


Oh!! P.S.!! Here’s one thing I love about Clinique (and there's another Clinique review to come soon, dearies): They have an awesome return policy. I will return my High Impact Mascara to Bloomingdales, where I bought it, and they will refund my money without a peep!