Real Girl Beauty

For every girl who's imagined herself as Lucky Magazine's "Lucky Girl." Or who's conquered her addiction to the bitchier-than-thou style.com forums. Or who reacts every day to her Daily Candy email with the same: "Who can afford that?" Here are some heartfelt health and beauty tips from one Real Girl to another.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Conceal Me, Baby




These are dark days for Real Girl. I have been in the constant grip of anxiety for the past two weeks, neither able to sleep nor eat normally. That leaves Real Girl at the lowest weight she’s been since she was 16. I am really trying not to enjoy being three pounds thinner than I should be at my thinnest. It’s not so hard, though. Being hungry and yet unable to eat? Not so fun. I have decided to leave my new job—and perhaps my new career. Which leaves Real Girl...rather unsteady in the world.

And also?

With big, honking, huge, dark, cavernous circles under her eyes. Sleep, for every minute I ever took you for granted, I apologize. Clinique Quick Corrector Concealer, for every shadow you’ve hidden, I bow to you with gratitude. Real Girl has used many concealers over the years, and I’ve become quite picky about my texture and application methods. I only like concealers that come with sponge-tip applicators. It’s like having a Q-tip built right in--and many of the best make up artists always dab on concealer with a Q-tip. Also, have you ever used concealer from a tube? The kind you have to squeeze? Let’s just say it together then: Ew. I mean, with the oils and the clumps and the squishiness. Just Ew.

So. Let’s say you’ve got slight darkness under the eyes. Nothing to run screaming away from, but still more than you’d like. The best sponge-tip applicator option for you would be Prescriptives Traceless Skin Responsive Corrector.

But if you need more coverage, like Real Girl does, then the Clinique option (not the tube one!!!) can cover a heck of a lot. Warning! Only use a little!! Dab three dots of concealer under your eye and then blend.

BUT WAIT! Whatever you do, ladies. Please, please don’t rub your eye area. That’s your thinnest skin. It can be tapped. It can be pressed gently. But rubbing will give you wrinkles. Your best bet, indeed, will be to use a concealer brush. I, for one, have not yet invested $30 in a good concealer brush. I use my $4.99 Sonia Kashuk brush from Target, and I am a-okay-alright with that. If you’re not into the brush option, just make sure to tap and press with your finger--and never, ever rub. Also for brush users, wash the brush every day--not with synthetic brush cleanser, but with your own facial cleanser. That way you won’t have to worry about irritating your face.

Now, I can talk about concealer all day long. But what do you use? I’ve never tried the non-liquid concealers, although I hear people rave about Laura Mercier Secret Concealer. Have you got any under-eye-circle-covering secrets? Anything at all to share? Got winter storage you need to pack up in my eye bags? Space is limited, and it's first come first serve basis...

Finally, here’s this in response to some of your emails. All you nice people who say such nice things to Real Girl and stand by her in her time of need. That time is now. And Real Girl thanks you. When she finally gets some sleep under her belt, she’s hoping she’ll look like her old self. Which will be this (after all, have we any secrets here???):




xxx
Your
Real Girl