Real Girl Beauty

For every girl who's imagined herself as Lucky Magazine's "Lucky Girl." Or who's conquered her addiction to the bitchier-than-thou style.com forums. Or who reacts every day to her Daily Candy email with the same: "Who can afford that?" Here are some heartfelt health and beauty tips from one Real Girl to another.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Boostin' the Energy



Usually, when someone tells Real Girl that a powder changed her life, I start to get a wee bit worried. Especially when she says: You should see how it peps me right up! It gives me so much energy! Erm...Okayyyy....

Don't worry. I'm not running to Narcotics Anonymous any time soon. In fact, if I have anything to confess it would be: Hi. My name is Real Girl. And I'm a Spiru-tein-aholic.

That's right, we're back to the health in "Health and Beauty." (Which makes this the third health entry. In four months. I think you see where my heart lies. But we've got to keep the sucker beating, don't we?) Tell me. What do you do for breakfast? Do you grab a muffin-slash-croissant-slash-whatever-pastry-has-the-most-chocolate? Do you opt for eggs and bacon because at least with the fat comes the protein? Or do you just skip the whole deal? I won't lie. I love the pastries. And the bacon. But neither of those options are going to give Real Girl the vitamins she needs to at least appear like she could be a morning person...

So here's the secret to a rocking dose of daily energy, protein, and hordes of nutrients: Spiru-tein. What is this funny sounding powder? It's a flavored, soy-protein vitamin supplement that makes a damn tasty shake. And it's filling! I make the shake as a replacement for breakfast or lunch five times a week. (You got me. On the weekends, I start my day with a raspberry cheese croissant. Sue me.) The way I prepare my Spiru-tein, the shake gets to about 250-300 calories. But it's not about that, really. It's about the 30% daily calcium (60% with milk!), the 100% of a gagillion vitamins (you clicked on the link and scrolled down, right?), and the 14 grams of soy protein (ain't gonna find that in a muffin, darlin's). AND IT TASTES LIKE COOKIES 'N CREAM! At least, my flavor does. But you can have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana, cappuccino, and so much more (you've seen the link). Because who has the friggin' time to prepare a delicious, nutritious meal every single day?

There are umpteen million ways to prepare your Spiru-tein shake. But let me offer some guidance, if I may. Firstly, for some bizarro reason unbeknownst to Real Girl, the Spiru-tein container says you need not use a blender. Ignore that. I know others who swear by the 'Tein, and we all blend the sucker to high heaven. Otherwise, I got news for you, you're getting wet powder chunks. You can certainly use skim milk, but I prefer a bit more depth to my shake. I use alternately soy milk and 1% organic milk, and both are swell. You'll need about a cup to a cup and a half of milk, depending on your desire for shake thickness (less milk, more thick. And doesn't that sound ick?)

If all you want is powder and milk, then more power to ya. But I'm all about maxing out the flava. I personally add a squirt of Hershey's Lite Chocolate Syrup. But also? You can add a banana. Or--my personal favorite thing to add, especially to the chocolate flavored powder--a generous handful of frozen blueberries (America's Choice makes great ones!). Because if you add the frozen blueberries? You get extra thickness, yes, and great taste, but also--say it with me now!!--ANTIOXIDANTS! Yup. Blueberries, like La Spinach and La Green Tea, is one of nature's beauty products! Love!

Are you scared of supplements? I've always kind of been. Especially powder. I mean, isn't that what body builders use? Because Hulk Hogan? Not the look I'm going for. But I've got to say. I love this product. It makes me feel fit, healthy, and vibrant. And the taste is so yummy that I actually use a spoon to get the extra off the sides of the glass. Wait. Forget you read that. Of course I only eat and drink in the most lady-like of manners. And I never, ever swipe my finger around the empty ice cream carton.

Yeah right.

But I do remain your,
Real Girl
xx

P.S. Spiru-Tein also comes in this larger size, which is more cost-effective if, after trying it, you find you need this shiznit in bulk. I'm just sayin'.

Got any health, vitamin, energy secrets to share? Yummy shake recipes? Secrets to eternal youth and beauty?